Andy Otten in action in Friday night’s preliminary final win
THE FEEL-GOOD story of Adelaide swingman Andy Otten is set to continue for at least another season after he signed a new contract with the Crows.
Injuries to teammates Brodie Smith and Mitch McGovern enabled Otten to return for the preliminary final against Geelong on Friday night, and he played his part in a big win that has set up a Grand Final berth.
The injury-plagued 28-year-old was an unrestricted free agent but was excited to recommit to the Crows.
“I don’t want to be anywhere else but Adelaide,” Otten told the club website.
“Since I was a kid, I’ve always loved the idea of being a one-club player and this is another step towards that.
“The club has shown a lot of faith in me over the years, and I have a lot of faith in the club.
“It’s such an exciting time for our playing group, our club and our fans. I want to be here to see what we can achieve together this year and in the near future.”
Crows list manager Justin Reid lauded Otten as a respected team man.
“Every time Andy has been called upon, he’s come in and played his role,” Reid said.
“It’s a credit to Andy that he’s been able to overcome a number of setbacks in his career, while maintaining a positive attitude throughout.
“He’s a valuable player and a great club person.”
Otten returned to AFL football in round one for the first time in 960 days after undergoing two knee reconstructions.
The 97-gamer has made 18 appearances this year, missing two late-season fixtures with an ankle injury before working his way back.
Crows draftee Myles Poholke has also re-signed with the club for a further two years.
The 19-year-old midfielder was Adelaide’s second pick – No.44 overall – in last year’s NAB AFL Draft.
Source: AFL NEWS